Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mark It Up

As a Christian, I try to treat the Scriptures as the utmost authority with the utmost respect. One of the ways I show this is that I don't mark, write, underline or highlight in the Bible. I like to keep the Bible pristine. Another reason is that I don't want a mark or comment for last year affect how I read or interact with the text this year. I want to approach the text with a clean slate.

Well, one of my closest friends told me that my quirks towards the Bible were idolatry! Pretty strong words to say the least. He encouraged me that I would get more out of my quiet time if I marked in it. I should write down comments that arose as I wrestled with the text and underline words or phrases that spoke to me.

To be honest, I was willing to try it, but not with my main Bible. I thought about buying a low-cost Bible, but I remembered that this same guy gave me a Bible last semester that I had not opened yet.

Guess what I did? I opened it up this morning and started to mark it up. I felt weird at first, but I noticed that I was interacting with the text more and thus, getting more out of my time in the Word. Not too bad for an idolater. I encourage you, if you are not in the Word, to get in it... every day. If you are, then to not just read it, but to interact with it...even if it means marking it up.

2 comments:

The Reverend Strange said...

Well said my friend...it took me awhile to start ripping into my pages with a pen and pink hi-lighter, but it's well worth it. The Word comes alive through that kind of interaction. Besides... christian chicks dig guys with marked-up, worn-out bibles! Go Bulldawg! Go!

car said...

hey dennis!!! nice to see you've got a blog going. hope you're enjoying seminary life. it looks like you are. i'll be following along as best i can so keep this thing updated!!

-carly